Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Tasty Recipes: Broiled Grapefruit Breakfast

I've made this little breakfast treat 3 times now. Once as an experiment for myself, for visiting family, and a visiting friend. Everyone said it tasted great, and I sure loved it, so here it is! 




Ingredients:

  • 1 ripe grapefruit 
  • frozen berry mix 
  • butter
  • nutmeg
  • cinnamon
  • brown sugar
  1. Cut the grape fruit in half, and cut each little segment and place in a separate bowl. Once you've finished that, using a spoon scoop out all the extra pith and throw away. 
  2. Mix the frozen berry mix with the grapefruit segments and place back in the emptied grapefruit bowls
  3. Melt 2-3 tablespoons of butter (I use a zero calorie butter myself), with a couple large pinches of brown sugar, 3 good shakes of cinnamon, and a shake of nutmeg. You could really adjust this with different sugars and spices- but this is what I had on hand- honey may even be nice too
  4. Once the topping is melted, pour over the filled fruit bowls
  5. Spray a backing sheet with cooking spray and add place the filled bowls on the rack and place in the oven. I normally already have the broiler on low while I prep the meal. 
  6. Broil over low for 3 mins, then switch the broiler over to hi for the last 2 mins. I keep the rack in the middle, and watch it closes through the oven window. (one time I broiled to close to the rack and had a little fire).
When my friend was visiting I served with whole grain toast and peanut butter, and sliced bannas with honey and cinnamon. We had some low calorie cool whip for the fun of it and sipped on hot coffee and aloe water. 

When my family was visiting we went all out on this breakfast! We had homemade mixed berry muffins, with sliced bannas and cherries, and then some turkey sausage and bacon. WOW, I am suddenly craving grapefruit, off to the farmers market I go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment